Tax season is here and we want to remind you of the government financial assistance for seniors. For most people, one of the main factors involved in making a decision about elderly caregiving is finances. But, did you know that there is a tax credit for home care services?
For people aged 70 and over, choosing to remain at home has never been so easy. Revenu Québec offers a monthly or yearly reimbursement of 35% of the expenses related to home care services. Premier Home Care offers a complete program of home care services, to ensure you stay in the comfort of your home. All services and products offered by Premier Home Care are eligible for tax credits offered by Revenu Québec.
If you were 70 or older at any time in the year and were resident in Québec on December 31, you can claim a tax credit for expenses paid for home-support services. You can receive this refundable tax credit even if you do not have any income tax to pay for the year. If you turned 70 during the year, you can claim the tax credit only for the expenses paid for services rendered after you turned 70.
For 2021, the tax credit is 35% of the eligible expenses that you or your spouse paid during the year for eligible home-support services. For 2022, the tax credit is 36% of eligible expenses. The rate will be raised annually by 1% until it reaches 40% in 2026.
Services that are eligible for the tax credit include:
• housekeeping services (such as sweeping and dusting or washing floors, rugs and upholstered furniture);
• laundry services (such as the care of your clothing, bedding and curtains by a household service worker in your home);
• groundskeeping, snow removal services and minor maintenance work outside your home (such as installing and removing a portable shelter);
• personal care services (help with dressing and personal hygiene);
• meal support services (help eating and drinking);
• meal preparation and delivery services (help preparing meals in your home, or meal delivery and preparation by a non-profit community organization such as Meals on Wheels);
• nursing services;
• companion sitting services;
• person-centered remote monitoring services (such as emergency call systems activated by a panic button on a bracelet or pendant); and
• services related to the use of a personal GPS locator.
For more detailed information and limits on eligible expenses you can view the PDF overview uploaded by Revenu Quebec: https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/online-services/forms-and-publications/current-details/in-151-v/
If your loved one is in need of care please feel free to reach out. Click on the “Contact Us” tab for our contact form, phone number, or Email address. It would be our pleasure to be of service.